In the post-Christmas wind-down, it’s an all-too familiar sight when we open the fridge to see mountains of leftover food! We thought we were feeding hundreds, but in reality, there weren’t that many (although there possibly seemed to be at the time!).
Now what do you do with the leftovers? Well, with the kids at home for the holidays, why not combine the two and get your children on kitchen duty with this simple but delicious recipe from Taste.com.au
Ham, Zucchini and Carrot Fritters
• 250g packet 90-second brown rice
• 1/2 cup self-raising flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
• 1 cup (165g) chopped leg ham
• 1 large carrot, peeled, grated
• 1 large zucchini, grated
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup grated extra-light tasty cheese
• olive oil cooking spray
• 1/2 cup reduced-fat tzatziki dip
• 30g baby rocket or baby spinach
(Ideally you can add any leftovers you have in the fridge – exchange the ham for turkey, chicken or pork, add extra vegetables etc.)
1. Cook rice following packet directions. Sift flour into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly whisk eggs and milk in a jug. Add to flour, stirring until smooth. Add rice, ham, carrot, zucchini, green onions and cheese. Stir to combine.
2. Spray a 22cm (base) non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Pour rice mixture into pan. Smooth surface. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture begins to set and edges start to brown. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat grill on medium heat. Place fritter, still in pan, under grill. Cook for 5 minutes or until light golden and set in centre. Use a spatula to loosen edges. Stand fritter in pan for 3 to 4 minutes before sliding onto a board. Cut into wedges.
4. Arrange fritter on plates. Top with tzatziki and rocket and season with pepper. Serve.
For those interested in the finer details, using the given recipe without substitutions, the nutritional panel looks like this:
Fat saturated 3.80g
Fat Total 10.50g
Carbohydrate sugars -
Carbohydrate Total 40.30g
Dietary Fibre 4.60g